correct kernel for etch - i386 - intel celeron

Hi all,

I am hoping someone can shed some light regarding kernel choice.

I got a new pc, celeron 2.6. but before I trash a working Etch taken
from my 1.8 celeron I thought I would test the install on a spare 10gb
drive.

Using expert install you are presented with 4 choices of kernel but no
hint as to the differences.

I chose ...

***@skutter:~$ uname -a
Linux skutter 2.6.18-4-686 #1 SMP Wed May 9 23:03:12 UTC 2007 i686
GNU/Linux

... purely because it was the newest and I made the same choice with my
1.8 celeron which has worked reliably for some time now :)

Googling (badly and probably without the correct words) over the last 2
days has got me no wiser.

Now the 2.6 machine "seems" to be working fine after some display
tweaking but I am curious to know if this information, ie. the
differences in the offered kernels and how to chose is mentioned
anywhere on Debian or the web.

I believe SMP stands for multi processor? (which mine isn't) but
could I have made a better choice, have I made the wrong choice?

Many thanks in advance.

del

--
D. M. Byram        || www d0t garmonsway d0t org/     /"\ ASCII Ribbon
Debian GNU/Linux   || www.debian.org/                 \ /  Campaign