Re: Java has stopped working

John W. Foster wrote:
On Saturday 11 August 2007 00:09, Marc Shapiro wrote:
I just realized that java is no longer functioning on my up-to-date Etch
system.  I had installed Sun Java using java-package and it had been
working at the time.  I don't run java all that much, so I don't know
just when it stopped working, but it is not working now.  I have used
the test on Sun's site and it does not find my installation.  JAVA_HOME
had been set to /usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun.  When Sun's own site could not
find my installation I decided that it was time to uninstall and
reinstall fresh.  I ran:

    aptitude remove sun_j2sdk1.5

aptitude suggested installing what appears to be Debian java packages to
replace the Sun package.  I agreed and the installation seemed to go
smoothly, but I am still unable to run java packages, from Sun's site,
or others.  Do I need a plugin of some sort?  When I tried to install
sun-java5-plugin aptitude wanted to install Iceweasle.  Since I am
happily running Firefox 2.0 I do not want to install Iceweasle.  How do
I get around this?

Can someone tell me what I might be missing, or point me in the right
direction?

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

I don't want to install Iceweasle.  I am happy with my upstream Firefox.

I Think that I have a partial answer to the problem, but I don't seem to be able to implement it -- There was no java plugin in my .mozilla/plugins directory. I made a link to the plugin in /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.10/jre/plugins but that made no difference. I then tried linking to the plugin in /usr/lib/firefox. This time, the check for java on Sun's site found my installation, but said that I don't have the correct version of java installed, so I downloaded the new .bin file and tried to use make-jpkg on it, but I got the following message:

mns@xander:~$ make-jpkg jre-6u2-linux-i586.bin
Creating temporary directory: /tmp/make-jpkg.DzAQSZ8011
Loading plugins: blackdown-j2re.sh blackdown-j2sdk.sh common.sh ibm-j2re.sh ibm-j2sdk.sh j2re.sh j2sdk-doc.sh j2sdk.sh j2se.sh sun-j2re.sh sun-j2sdk-doc.sh sun-j2sdk.sh

Detected Debian build architecture: i386
Detected Debian GNU type: i486-linux-gnu

No matching plugin was found.
Removing temporary directory: done

What do I need to do to make a debian package that I can install so that I can remove the unworking packages without uninstalling all of Debian's OO.org which insists on having java installed?

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com