Re: Java has stopped working

On Saturday 11 August 2007 00:09, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> I just realized that java is no longer functioning on my up-to-date Etch
> system.  I had installed Sun Java using java-package and it had been
> working at the time.  I don't run java all that much, so I don't know
> just when it stopped working, but it is not working now.  I have used
> the test on Sun's site and it does not find my installation.  JAVA_HOME
> had been set to /usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun.  When Sun's own site could not
> find my installation I decided that it was time to uninstall and
> reinstall fresh.  I ran:
>
>     aptitude remove sun_j2sdk1.5
>
> aptitude suggested installing what appears to be Debian java packages to
> replace the Sun package.  I agreed and the installation seemed to go
> smoothly, but I am still unable to run java packages, from Sun's site,
> or others.  Do I need a plugin of some sort?  When I tried to install
> sun-java5-plugin aptitude wanted to install Iceweasle.  Since I am
> happily running Firefox 2.0 I do not want to install Iceweasle.  How do
> I get around this?
>
> Can someone tell me what I might be missing, or point me in the right
> direction?
>
> --
> Marc Shapiro
> mshapiro_42@yahoo.com
try removing any debian packages with 'gcj' as part of the name for
examplegcj; or any app named something-gcj. I ahve run into some conflicts
with that recently. If that fixes the problem then there is most likely a bug
in gcj, which I have not reported, since I was not certain it existed.
--
John W. Foster