Re: Weird cron behavior

Frank McCormick wrote:
> I left my machine on overnight ( I usually don't )  and got these
> messages in my mail this morning:
>
> From: root@localhost.localdomain (Cron Daemon)
> To: root@localhost.localdomain
> Subject: Cron <root@debian> sudo aptitude update

You must have a crontab entry that says "sudo aptitude update".

> It seems cron ran once a minute starting at 5:00 AM and
> ending at 5:59 AM .....apparently doing the same thing over and over.

Sounds like a bad time spec in your crontab.

  # field descriptions
  # minute (0-59),
  #   hour (0-23),
  #     day of the month (1-31),),
  #       month of year (1-12),
  #         day of the week (0-6 with 0=Sunday).

Therefore the following would run once a minute.  This is only an
example based upon your report.

  * * * * *	sudo aptitude update

> I havn't added or changed anything --
> I am sunning Sid

How can you say with a straight face that nothing has changed and yet
also say that you are running Sid?

> Anybody have any ideas ?

  $ sudo crontab -l

  $ find /etc/cron.* -type f -exec grep "aptitude.*update" {} +

Bob