Re: Weird cron behavior

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 14:42:29 -0600
bob@proulx.com (Bob Proulx) wrote:

> Frank McCormick wrote:
> > I left my machine on overnight ( I usually don't )  and got these
> > messages in my mail this morning:
> >
> > From: root@localhost.localdomain (Cron Daemon)
> > To: root@localhost.localdomain
> > Subject: Cron <root@debian> sudo aptitude update
>
> You must have a crontab entry that says "sudo aptitude update".

   Nope...nothing like that.

> > It seems cron ran once a minute starting at 5:00 AM and
> > ending at 5:59 AM .....apparently doing the same thing over and
> > over.
>
> Sounds like a bad time spec in your crontab.
>

> > I havn't added or changed anything --
> > I am sunning Sid
>
> How can you say with a straight face that nothing has changed and yet
> also say that you are running Sid?

    I didn't say nothing has changed...I said *I* haven't added or
changed anything...specifically the crontab(s) :)

> > Anybody have any ideas ?
>
>   $ sudo crontab -l
>
>   $ find /etc/cron.* -type f -exec grep "aptitude.*update" {} +

     Comes up empty...i.e. nothing returned. I'll have to leave it on
overnight again and see what happens. I guess with Sid, anything is
possible.

Frank
--
    Change the world one loan at a time - visit Kiva.org to find out how