Re: Strange video troubles (DPMS & nv driver)

Ralph Katz <ralph.katz@rcn.com> writes:

> On 08/09/2007 09:12 PM, cothrige wrote:
>
>> I have gotten to thinking.  Does nv take any flags like nvidia does?
>> Could there be a setting I could manipulate when loading it which could
>> help with LCD monitors, or the like?  I must admit complete ignorance on
>> this issue, as when I used nv consistently I had a very simple setup
>> with a CRT as well.  I never needed to do anything but load the driver
>> for it to work.
>
> Maybe dpkg-reconfigure xorg will help?  iirc, there was an LCD question
> asked.

Unfortunately, this did not change anything in my setup.  At least not
in regards to using 'nv.'

> I don't know anything about ServerFlags.
>
> DPMS is on:  ~$ grep DPMS /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>         Option          "DPMS"
>
> My dpms settings are handled by xscreensaver ($ xscreensaver-demo).

Cool.  I am trying this right now to see if it helps.  Maybe there is
some glitch in how DPMS is operating in my system and so perhaps
xscreensaver will have a more direct method which will work better.

> Also, I sometimes call this from a script in ~/bin when not wanting to
> wait for xscreensaver to kick in:
> xset -display :0.0 dpms force  suspend

I did the same thing with my setup, but lately even that has not worked
right.  For instance, I could open a terminal and type 'xset dpms force
off' and the monitor would sleep.  However, I have always mapped Super-x
in Fluxbox to that command and would hit that to sleep the monitor, but
lately it will only make the display blink.  I really cannot quite
figure out what is going on in this regard.  The good news is that after
switching to xscreensaver at least that did seem to work again, if only
so far.

> Hope this helps,

Immensely.  Much appreciated.

> Ralph