Re: Strange video troubles (DPMS & nv driver)

On 08/09/2007 09:12 PM, cothrige wrote:

> I have gotten to thinking.  Does nv take any flags like nvidia does?
> Could there be a setting I could manipulate when loading it which could
> help with LCD monitors, or the like?  I must admit complete ignorance on
> this issue, as when I used nv consistently I had a very simple setup
> with a CRT as well.  I never needed to do anything but load the driver
> for it to work.

Maybe dpkg-reconfigure xorg will help?  iirc, there was an LCD question
asked.

>> fwiw, I have no Section "ServerFlags" in my xorg.conf on this etch box.
>>  There are no log entries indicating screen saver or dpms actions or
>> settings.
>
> But, do you have dpms on?  If so how does it know when to set standby
> and so on?  Or do you use xscreensaver or the like?  Do you think
> removing the ServerFlags section and then using only xscreensaver may
> have an impact?  I may try that.

I don't know anything about ServerFlags.

DPMS is on:  ~$ grep DPMS /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        Option          "DPMS"

My dpms settings are handled by xscreensaver ($ xscreensaver-demo).
Also, I sometimes call this from a script in ~/bin when not wanting to
wait for xscreensaver to kick in:
xset -display :0.0 dpms force  suspend
this also seems to work to reset everything to restore proper
xscreensaver preferences after using mplayer, etc.

Hope this helps,
Ralph