Re: apt-get: broken dependencies

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 19:05:50 +0200, Hans Vogelsberger wrote:

[...]

> The word 'testing' was chosen by Debian maintainers to show what they think
> Testing was and is good for them. I should prefer a name like 'desktop' to
> show what I think Testing was and is good for me. Servers need stable, but
> for desktops you better use Testing or, if you dare, Sid. The meaning of
> the word "testing" makes maintainers forget how
> important this distri is for desktop users, therefore in Sarge there was
> and in Etch there is beginning right now a period when important programs
> are brought from Sid to Testing immature and much too early.

I know that in fact "testing" is a very usable desktop platform for many
people, but you have to keep in mind that it is really only meant to be
for testing the next release of Debian before it becomes "stable". It
would of course be nice if there was a separate Debian "desktop" branch
available, but this does not really fit into Debian's workflow of
getting the next "stable" release into shape and the project simply does
not have the manpower to support an additional branch.

You might want to check out the packages "apt-listbugs" and
"apt-listchanges" if you are not using them already. They can help you
avoid bugs and other unpleasant surprises related to upgrades. The
chances are quite high that apt-listbugs would have warned you about the
problem with the package that blocked your system, and you could have
avoided the whole problem simply by delaying the upgrade of that one
package until the fixed version became available. (Apt-listbugs checks
the Debian bug tracking system for critical bugs whenever new packages
are about to be installed and you can simply put problematic packages on
hold before carrying on with the rest of the upgrade.)

          Florian   |