Re: apt-get: broken dependencies

Florian Kulzer schrieb:
On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 17:45:18 +0200, Hans Vogelsberger wrote:
>> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
> dpkg --force-overwrite -i /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6-i386_2.6-2_amd64.deb
>
> followed by
>
> apt-get install -f
>
> should fix this.

This did it, thank you very much. Upgrading is possible again.

Something about the meaning of the words "testing" and "Ubuntu" comes to
mind, but I think it is better if I let it slide.

The word 'testing' was chosen by Debian maintainers to show what they think Testing was and is good for them. I should prefer a name like 'desktop' to show what I think Testing was and is good for me. Servers need stable, but for desktops you better use Testing or, if you dare, Sid. The meaning of the word "testing" makes maintainers forget how important this distri is for desktop users, therefore in Sarge there was and in Etch there is beginning right now a period when important programs are brought from Sid to Testing immature and much too early.

I did not follow the discussion concerning the word 'Ubuntu' and mentioned this distribution only in the faint hope to avoid the work and the upset connected with the use of Testing, but I am afraid that in spite of my 76 years I am still too curious to change.

You can run "LANG=C somecommand" and you will get the messages of
"somecommand" in English.

This is really important. Thank you very much.

Hans.