SOLVED: Re: using ssl on part of a website

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 03:31:47PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 04:12:48PM -0500, Sam Leon wrote:
> >

> > Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> > There is a pretty good newbie walk through at the ubuntu forum:
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=4466
>
> <shudder> wading through those can be tough, but it got me some useful
> information. mostly that my rewrite looks to be proper, and in fact it
> does work to a point.
>
> Once i navigate to the cgi script, it redirects to
> https://site.org/ikiwiki.cgi...., and presents me with the login
> screen, but after entering correct information and clicking "login" it
> returns an error page 'Error: "do" parameter missing' so something is
> lost in the translation there...

problem restated: ikiwiki includes a login system, but that puts
passwords in clear text. This is a problem when on public networks,
especially wireless.

solution: don't mess with mod-rewrite or anything like that. create
two stanzas in your httpd.conf by whatever method you use. 1) stanza

<VirtualHost *:80>...

and one

<VirtualHost *:443>...

set up the cgi stuff in the second stanza.

then reconfigure the ikiwiki.setup file:

url => "http://example.com/path/to/wiki";
cgiurl => "https://example.com/path/to/wiki/ikiwiki.cgi";

reubild the wiki and you're done.

that looks to me to be the best way to use SSL with ikiwiki.