using ssl on part of a website

Hi guys, I'm having real trouble figuring out how to do this.

I've got a wiki running ikiwiki and I'd like to get the log-in/editing
portion out of clear text. the obvious thing seems to be to use SSL,
but I don't want to ssl the whole site, just the part accessed through
the cgi scripts that take logins and edit stuff. Can someone give me
some pointers?

I've tried using mod_rewrite to point all cgi-bin/ URIs to
https://blah/cgi-bin/ but that only partially works as the complete
urls generated within that don't work properly. Maybe i'm missing
something there.

I cannot just put ssl directives into a <Directory>  stanza as that
fails right out.

thanks