Re: Installing xorg without all those video drivers

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 07:39:05PM +1000, Robert S wrote:
> I'd like to install xorg, but only with the video drivers that I need.  I'm
> doing a net install.
>
> A query on the Debian IRC yielded "painfully, without using the meta package
> that pulls them in".
>
> Maybe there's a HOWTO somewhere out there that somebody can direct me to.

I do it by trial and error, but usually I start from the things I know I
need for sure.

xserver-xorg-video-intel (replace with your driver)
xserver-xorg-vesa (just for backup)
xserver-xorg-input-kbd
xserver-xorg-input-mouse

Spice with some xfonts:

xfonts-100dpi
xfonts-75dpi (probably don't need those as I run X with 100 dpi)
xfonts-base
xfonts-terminus (my favorite :)

All other xorg packages I can spot are marked auto-installed so they
were pulled in as dependencies.

Don't forget to turn off recommends first (at least temporary).

If I didn't forget anything you should have a running xorg, otherwise
post the error message :)

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)