Re: Debian hangs randomly

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 12:27:44PM +0200, Jogito nit wrote:
> First of all, sorry about my english.
>
> I have a problem with my Debian, it hangs randomly. I have tried to change
> the driver of my ati, I, ve tried without 3D acceleration. I thougth that
> was the memory, so i changed it, but it continue hang. When it hangs i cant
> do anything, no mouse, no keyboard. I´ve tried Kubuntu and Knoppix too, and
> the same problem. I´ve looked the logs and i cant find anything strange. In
> windows i dont have this problem. Can someone help me please.

windows on the same machine causes no problems? that would pretty
effectively rule out hardware issues, though its still
possible. Follow Doug's advice and try working in a command line for a
while to see if you can trigger the problem.

Also, just as a precaution, try systematically removing hardware to
see if perhaps a specific hardware driver is causing the problem.

My advice is to take careful detailed notes about what you are
doing. Often the problem is something simple that is overlooked and
good notes can help in this case. My example is when I tried to
diagnose a system that wouldn't boot... I tried everything: new
motherboards, new processor, new memory, everything except the video
card... which of course was the thing that had failed...