Re: Transitioning to 64bit, is it worth it, and how

On Sun, Aug 05, 2007 at 12:28:14AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> But even so there was huge resistance because it was not a perfect
> solution and did not support 32-bit applications out of the box.

I run Etch amd64 on may Athlon64 3800+ and its great.  Then again, this box
was an upgrade from my 486 :)

The only thing I need ia32 for is iceweasel/flash.  For this, I had to
setup a chroot which wasn't that bad and takes up 442 MB of disk space.
The only thing that would have been convenient would have been an amd64
package that brought in debootstrap and schroot and whatever else and
did all the setup ready for installing the chroot.  There was a lot of
reading of howtos and man pages to bring myself up-to-speed on setting
it up.

Now I see in Sid there's a wrapper for mozilla plugins to make using a
chroot for this unneccessary, however there could still be value in a
'ia32-schroot' meta-package.

Doug.