Re: odd xorg-video-intel problem

Andrew J. Barr wrote:

> The file /var/log/Xorg.0.log would help with diagnostics.

only if I know how to interpret it...

There are in total 10 entries marked 'EE', all identical:

  (EE) intel(0): Unable to write to SDVOCTRL_E for SDVOB Slave 0x70.

Is this normal? ... OK, silly question. Errors are not normal.

> Also, consider posting to the xorg@lists.freedesktop.org list, a
> number of Intel employees are active there.

I think I need to do my homework before posting there. And that
would be quite a task for me. I am very new to XWindows.

> Additionally, consult the driver documentation. I believe you can
> turn on a debug mode in the modesetting code by specifying an option
> in xorg.conf. This might help you or someone else figure out what's
> wrong.

Doesn't help me. For instance, with debugging enabled, the above error
entry became:

  (EE) intel(0): Unable to write to SDVOCTRL_E for SDVOB Slave 0x70.
  (II) intel(0): SDVO: W: 7A 02   (SDVO_CMD_SET_CONTROL_BUS_SWITCH)
  (II) intel(0): SDVO: W: 7A 02   (SDVO_CMD_SET_CONTROL_BUS_SWITCH)

> My own experience with the 965:
>
> I have a 965 connected to an widescreen 1440x900 LCD monitor via a VGA
> connector. When X starts, it starts in a non-native resolution, but
> after I log in the GNOME session software changes the native
> resolution which I specified in the Screen Resolution control panel.

I wonder how modlines and the control panel interacts. If the setting
in a control panel overrides modeline setting, why do I need modelines?

btw, I tried xvidtune and it appears no matter what values I specify it says:

     Sorry: You have requested a mode-line that is not possible
     or not supported by your hardware configuration.

Weird.

sigh... I thought I could avoid this kind of hassle by choosing the
intel 965G.

Thanks,
T.