Re: ntfs mount errors

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 20:51:50 -0700
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 11:17:21PM -0400, Phill Atwood wrote:
> >

> > Success.  Although I can't say that I really understand. Setting
> > umask=0222 in the /etc/fstab file did the trick.  I don't understand why
> > mounting a ro partition to a directory with just write permissions would
> > work. 0544 or 0555 seemed the more logical thing to try...
(...)
> So I'm not sure how that translates to the first digit since i'm sure
> you don't want a perm to come out 7555 using umask of 0222 but maybe
> someone can enlighten

Well, wikipedia says ;), the bitwise-inverted umask is bitwise ANDed with the *default "full permission"*, i.e. 666 for files and 777 for dirs. This should mean, 0666 and 0777, if I am understanding it right (see interpretation for missing digits in chmod(1)). Thus:

000 110 110 110 AND
not(000 010 010 010) =
000 110 110 110 AND
111 101 101 101 = 0444

For dirs, the result is 0555.

> > c) Even after this success, dmesg shows:
> >
> > NTFS volume version 3.1.
> > NTFS-fs warning (device sda1): load_system_files(): Unsupported volume
> > flags 0x4000 encountered.
(...)
> i see that a lot and never have any problems. FWIW. but avoid writing
> in ntfs if you can.

That's really strange ... but I'm pretty sure that's not debian-specific (as I found this on forums for all kinds of distros).

> > > Another thing: If you also need write access onto ntfs, and want read access onto compressed files, then the ntfs-3g driver might be interesting for you. For newbies however, it might not be that easy to install... you need to make a package for stable yourself. On the other hand, if you'd need it, I can just do an update/recompile here on my system and send the resulting package to you via email.
>
> is it in backports?

Yep, that's a good hint: ntfs-3g ver 1.516 (slightly outdated) is available if you add the line:

deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free

into your /etc/apt/sources.list, do apt-get update, and then install.

Cheers,

Stephan