Re: ntfs mount errors

On Tue, 2007-31-07 at 21:14 +0200, Stephan Hachinger wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:26:41 -0400
> Phill Atwood <me@phillatwood.name> wrote:
>

> > Further to my problem of not being able to automatically mount my
> > windows xp partition and cd to it as a regular user.
> >
> > >from dmesg:
> >
> > NTFS driver 2.1.27 [Flags: R/W MODULE].
> > NTFS volume version 3.1.
> > NTFS-fs warning (device sda1): load_system_files(): Unsupported volume
> > flags 0x4000 encountered.
> > NTFS-fs warning (device sda1): load_system_files(): Volume has
> > unsupported flags set.  Will not be able to remount read-write.  Run
> > chkdsk and mount in Windows.
>
> ----
>
> Hi there,
>
> I have no information about what was discussed before, but to me this looks like: Boot into windoze. Click on Start->Execute (don't know how this is exactly called on English windoze) or open a command window (cmd.exe). There, type: chkdsk /f . Tell windoze you want it to check the disk at reboot. Reboot into windoze, and let chkdsk repair the disk. Then reboot into linux and see what happens.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Stephan

Thanks for helping me see what I needed to do.  However, it did not
work.  I had to use fsutil to force c: drive to be "dirty" so windoze
would check it.  Finally it did and there were no errors.  Rebooting
into linux and I still have the problem.  ie.  The windoze partition is
mounted automatically fine, but I can only cd to it if I am root.

Again, my /etc/fstab is:

#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/sda1       /windoze        ntfs    user,auto,ro    0       0
/dev/sda2       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0
1
/dev/sda8       /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/sda7       /tmp            ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/sda5       /usr            ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/sda6       /var            ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/sda3       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hda        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

I tried googling the ntfs error msg above but there isn't much.
Perhaps, I should try to contact the developers of this ntfs support for
linux.  How would I go about that?  Or are there other ideas?  I
appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Phill