Re: Blurry fonts in OpenOffice and qt4 appliations

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 22:54:10 -0700, Alan Ianson wrote:
> On Fri August 3 2007 21:50, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> > > I noticed that too a while ago, one of the fonts I was using (sorry, I
> > > forget which one) seemed to have a rainbow color effect to it for reasons
> > > unknown. I changed the system font to something else and it has looked
> > > fine since.
> >
> > LCD or CRT monitor? Have a look at the sub-pixel rendering option
> > (dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config).
>
> LCD, it was on my laptop. Thanks, I'll run that and have a look.

The rainbow color effect can also be caused by RGB subpixel hinting,
which is an Xft option. Check the output of

xrdb -query | grep Xft

for the Xft.rgba setting. You can change the Xft settings by doing
things like:

echo "Xft.rgba: none" | xrdb -merge

You have to restart the affected application(s) to see the effect of the
changed settings.

          Florian   |