Re: ntfs mount errors

On Sat, 2007-04-08 at 01:24 +0200, Stephan Hachinger wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> err ... well, which suggestion? Anyway, I found the following:

Maybe it was Doug who made the suggestion.

> * Are you using "alternative data streams" [sorry, that's an direct German to English translation ... don't know how this is called on English windoze], compressed or encrypted files? If so, this could cause problems.
>
> * Are you using a "dynamical volume" [direct translation again, seems to be some kind of extendible partitions - I've never used that windoze feature]?
>
> * If all the things above do not apply, try marking the fs as dirty, rebooting (chkdsk checks), then rebooting a second time into windoze, then rebooting into linux (see http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2006/03/msg03215.html)
>
> As for the umask, I don't know exactly what you've done, but the following posting might be interesting: http://osdir.com/ml/linux.file-systems.ntfs.user/2006-05/msg00004.html . "umask=0222" seems to be a quick and dirty way to make it accessible to any user. For the long term however, maybe you can try to figure out a good and clean way to do it, with these groups etc.

Success.  Although I can't say that I really understand. Setting
umask=0222 in the /etc/fstab file did the trick.  I don't understand why
mounting a ro partition to a directory with just write permissions would
work. 0544 or 0555 seemed the more logical thing to try...

As a relative newby here are some things I noted that I don't get.

a) Previously, I made a group and added my users to it, editted fstab to
allow gid for that group, chmoded the directory to 0544 and set the
umask in fstab to be 0544 too.  This almost worked.  I was able to cd to
my windoze directory, but I couldn ls -l it!

b) When I created my new group bar and added my user foo to it with
"adduser foo bar" it worked.  When I issued the "groups" command it did
not show bar as being one of the groups that foo belonged to.  I
rebooted, issued "groups" again and now foo is in bar.  Seems to me it
should know this right away without a reboot...  (I'm showing my Windoze
ancestry by rebooting all the time!)

c) Even after this success, dmesg shows:

NTFS volume version 3.1.
NTFS-fs warning (device sda1): load_system_files(): Unsupported volume
flags 0x4000 encountered.
NTFS-fs error (device sda1): load_system_files(): Volume has unsupported
flags set.  Mounting read-only.  Run chkdsk and mount in Windows.

I did go into windoze and run chkdsk after forcing the dirty bit.  It
found no errors.  But I still get the msg on the linux side.

I've probably got my head in the clouds, but is any of this a bug in
Debian.  Especially a) and b).  I'll have to figure out the BTS system
to find out...

> Another thing: If you also need write access onto ntfs, and want read access onto compressed files, then the ntfs-3g driver might be interesting for you. For newbies however, it might not be that easy to install... you need to make a package for stable yourself. On the other hand, if you'd need it, I can just do an update/recompile here on my system and send the resulting package to you via email.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Stephan

I had run into ntfs-3g while googling earlier.  It does intrigue me.
Making my own package to install it is probably way over my head.
Although, I would like to get into package maintenance.  If this is not
too big a piece to chew on I would be willing to take whatever time to
try.  I am sceptical that previous versions of Debian don't trust ntfs
to write but these ntfs-3g guys do.  I also read that if you mount
windows xp as vfat you can write to it.  Even more sceptical.

If you are willing to recompile it for me I'd try it.  I can't afford to
loose that data, so I would back it up first.

Thanks for your help Stephan.  Doug and others too.  This beats windoze
help/obfuscation hands down!

Phill