Re: new Etch install fails to boot

On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 11:00:30PM -0400:
> [I wrote that my fresh Etch install calls grub and then stops.]

I've tried several of the solutions suggested and am still stuck.  In the
BIOS, Virus Protection was already disabled, and I tried turning off Power
Management.  I've tried the different Access Modes for the drive (Auto, LBA,
Large).

Then I tried rebooting the installer in rescue mode and reinstalling grub (I
think it did "grub-install /dev/hde1").

Then I tried doing a whole new install of just the base system, but set up
these partitions:

  IDE5 master (hde) - 41.2 GB IC35L040AVER07-0
        #1 primary   98.7 MB B f ext3       /boot
        #3 primary   39.5 GB   f ext3       /
        #5 logical    1.5 GB   F swap       swap
  IDE5 slave (hdf) - 41.2 GB IC35L040AVER07-0
        #1 primary   41.2 GB     ext2

which gave /boot its own partition at the start of the disk.  I tried this a
few times and should mention that the `f' flags in the table sometimes showed
as `F' or `K'.  I think `F' means "format this", but I haven't been able to
track down what `f' and `K' mean.

As I said, these all still crashed when the boot got to grub.  I wouldn't
have guessed that there was any need to have the boot files near the start of
the disk anyway.  Until two days ago, this same disk in the same box had a
9.8-GB Win98 partition (1252 cylinders), followed by Red Hat, as follows:

               Mount                     Size
  Device       Point   Type    Format    (MB)  Start   End
  /dev/hde
    /dev/hde1          vfat              9821      1   1252
    /dev/hde2  /boot   ext3       Y       102   1253   1265
    /dev/hde3  /       ext3       Y     28318   1266   4875
    /dev/hde4          Extended          1020   4876   5005
      /dev/hde5        swap       Y      1020   4876   5005
  /dev/hdf
    /dev/hdf1          ext2             39260      1   5005

This worked fine, although I did have to force lba32 in lilo.conf.
Supposedly grub does this by default.

I have not yet tried the suggestion of making a grub disk but may if I can
figure out what to do with it.