Re: new Etch install fails to boot

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 10:19:09PM -0400, Steve Kleene wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 11:00:30PM -0400:
> > [I wrote that my fresh Etch install calls grub and then stops.]

[... stuff about trying grub and various partition options]

> I have not yet tried the suggestion of making a grub disk but may if I can
> figure out what to do with it.

I agree with trying a grub disk. you can boot the system like this
from the grub command line

grub> root (hd0,0)   #that tells grub to use the first partition of
the first disk. it should return something about the file system.

grub> kernel /boot/linux-image<insert appropriate info here> root=hda2 \
ro single #note this is all on one line. You can use grubs find
feature or its tab completiong to get the complete filename

grub> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6blahblahblah #use tab completion
again, but make sure it matches the kernel

grub> boot #this will fire up the boot.

Also, if lilo worked before, then maybe you should use lilo again
until you can get it sorted out.