Re: Not able to find qwtplot3D

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 07:46:29PM -0500, Ashivni Shekhawat wrote:
>    I am new to Debian. I have trying to install qwtplot3d on my
> machine; however I get the following error:
>
> # apt-get install qwtplot3d
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> E: Couldn't find package qwtplot3d

http://packages.debian.org/qwtplot3d says that the package doesn't
exist.  However, if you follow the link to search for package names
containing that word, you find lots of libqwtplot3d.  However, they are
all in either testing or unstable.  Since you're running Etch, apt won't
find it.

All packages for all branches are kept in pool; hense the name.  Its the
packages file that tells apt what packages are valid.

> The package qwtplot3d is available on ftp.debian.org at
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/q/qwtplot3d/
>
> my sources.list reads
>
> cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> #
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r0 _Etch_ - Official i386 CD Binary-1
> 20070407-11:55]/ etch contrib main
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main
> deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main

Why do you have three lines pointing to three identical mirrors?  Why do
you want security support for contrib when you don't have contrib from
the mirrors?

Doug.