Now, though, I have given the whole disk to Etch, so I'd be surprised if this
is the issue.  There are just two partitions:

  IDE5 master (hde) - 41.2 GB IC35L040AVER07-0
        #1 primary   39.9 GB B f ext3       /
        #5 logical    1.5 GB   f swap       swap

The BIOS (AWARD 1998 / PCI/PNP 686 / 276079428) shows:
  IDE Primary Master Auto (other choices are None, Manual)
  Access Mode Auto (other choices are Normal, LBA, Large)

I've tried various combinations, including LBA, to no avail.  The hard drives
are IBM Deskstar 40-GB IDE hard drives, model IC35L040AVER07-0.

Any ideas how to fix this?  Thanks.