Re: dumb question about Adobe Acrobat....

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 23:39:18 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

[...]

> IIRC, Xpdf doesn't have the ability to do form filling.  With acroread,
> you can fill out forms (they have to be set up to allow it, of course),
> and then print them, already filled in.  Obviously, you can't save the
> filled out form.

pdftk can be used to fill in PDF forms. It can generate an FDF file from
the form fields of a PDF. You can edit the data in the FDF file with an
ASCII editor and then use pdftk again to produce a "filled-in" PDF from
the edited FDF and the original PDF file. You can furthermore "flatten"
this new PDF file so that other people cannot change your data anymore
if you send them this file. However, if someone wants you to submit the
form electronically then it is important to send the file non-flattened
because the other party will probably want to extract the data directly
from the file.

Unfortunately I am not sure if this works with all versions of PDF forms
or only with older ones.

          Florian   |