Re: Need newer software that included with stable (that isn't at backports.org)

On 07/28/07 12:28, Tim Hull wrote:

>> ISTM, though, that you are missing the point of Stable.
>>
>> http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-getting.en.html#s-updatestable
>>
>>     No new functionality is added to the stable release. Once
>>     a Debian version is released and tagged `stable' it will
>>     only get security updates. That is, only packages for which
>>     a security vulnerability has been found after the release
>>     will be upgraded. All the security updates are served through
>>     security.debian.org.
>>
>>     Security updates serve one purpose: to supply a fix for a
>>     security vulnerability. They are not a method for sneaking
>>     additional changes into the stable release without going through
>>     normal point release procedure. Consequently, fixes for packages
>>     with security issues will not upgrade the software. The Debian
>>     Security Team will backport the necessary fixes to the version
>>     of the software distributed in `stable' instead.
>>
>> This is how the people who make Debian want it to be.  Ubuntu,
>> Fedora/RH or SUSE may be better suited to you.
>>
>> - --
>> Ron Johnson, Jr.
>> Jefferson LA  USA
>>
>> I understand the point of Debian stable - and I understand why most other
> distros (beside RHEL and the other "enterprise" distros) use a 4-6 month
> cycle.  However, I don't see why this much be mutually exclusionary with
> pulling selected updates down on an "as-needed" basis.  On Windows and OS X,
> one can easily update, say, OpenOffice.org or Firefox without updating the
> whole system.

That's not true.

These links have pre-compiled Linux binaries with suitably old
system software requirements:

  http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
  http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
  http://download.openoffice.org/2.2.1/index.html

Many sites (especially Sourceforge projects) also have pre-compiled
RPM packages, and some have debs.

And then there are these RPM search sites:
  http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/
  http://rpm.pbone.net/

> On Linux distributions, however, you either have to wait for the next distro
> release (whether that be 4 months or 12 months) or use hackish solutions
> only a Gentoo user could love.  Of course, I could just use OS X (or
> Windows) but that's not the point - I like the tweakability/freedom of
> Linux, but I just want to be able to update, for instance, my kernel or ACPI
> packages separate from my glibc and Xorg without leaving the realm of the
> package system.
> In any case, this is probably best reserved for the -devel list, as it has
> gone outside the scope of my main question (how to make backports) and into
> the realm of release cycles etc.

You'll get the same answers as you got from me (in a range of
politenesses).

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA