Re: Need newer software that included with stable (that isn't at backports.org)

It's a Core Duo MacBook that's over a year old, so not exactly bleeding edge.  That doesn't mean it doesn't take a few kernel revs for them to figure things out, and this is definitely the case here. Also, the kernel package from sid (Lenny's is 2.6.21) is compiled against glibc 2.6.

I guess what I am wondering is if I can build debs from the sid source on etch and in a sense do my own backports.  I may want to do this for a few other packages as well, such as acpi-support (the newest version is needed for suspend also)...

Regarding suspend - I need it.  For one thing, my system gets REALLY HOT with the lid closed over an extended period without suspend - to the point where I have an extremely jittery trackpad when I start using it after leaving it on lid closed.  Also, I don't like waiting for it to boot...

For me, this is the one major dilemma of FOSS - updates are basically all-or-nothing.  You can't, for instance, stick with an old Xorg but have a newer kernel and GNOME.  I hope Debian brings the backports into the official fold in the future - it seems that it would help immensely with this.

On 7/27/07, Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 01:26:31PM -0400, Tim Hull wrote:
> I'm currently trying out both Debian and Ubuntu on my MacBook to see which
> one I prefer.
> Right now, I'm currently liking Debian better - the stability seems better,
> and it seems easier to customize
> - but I need to run software that's newer than what's in etch (not for a
> lust for bleeding-edge, but simply for the reason
> that my MacBook won't suspend or do proper power management in any kernel
> older than 2.6.22).  I also want to be
> able to get updated packages such as the newest Firefox...er..Iceweasel

So its bleeding-edge hardware.

Is it possilbe to pull in the kernel package from Lenny and install that
with dpkg or is it compiled against a newer libc?

OTOH, do you need suspend and power-management?  When you use it, use
it; when you don't, shut it down.

Doug.