Re: Need newer software that included with stable (that isn't at backports.org)

On 07/28/07 11:00, Tim Hull wrote:
[snip]

> One argument that bothers me a bit is stating that all deficiencies are "the
> price you pay for freedom" and recommending one go back to their former OS
> if they can't handle it. This is the reason Linux isn't doing as well on the
> desktop as it could. I must emphasize that I have no intention on leeching
> off the community - if that was the case, I'd just go back to OS X. My post
> was basically asking how to do a proper "Debian way" backport from sid
> source - which seems possible, given that backports.org makes plenty of
> them.
>
> While I did point this out as a deficiency in Debian (and Linux in general),
> I'm also open to helping fixing this.  I was intending on submitting any
> backports I did to backports.org, as well as possibly getting involved in
> Debian development in other ways.  I also reported all the bugs I found in
> lenny/sid in the Debian BTS, and was planning on keeping a chroot/VM of sid
> around to keep testing it.  Now, however, I can't help but wonder if some
> other Linux distribution may be more receptive than Debian.

Ubuntu (and Fedora and possibly SuSE) releases on a 6 month schedule
for that very reason.

>                                                             This is a
> problem which needs to be fixed - no other OS makes you update the whole
> system or go through arcane source compilation to update a single component.

Neither do Testing or Sid.

ISTM, though, that you are missing the point of Stable.

http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-getting.en.html#s-updatestable

    No new functionality is added to the stable release. Once
    a Debian version is released and tagged `stable' it will
    only get security updates. That is, only packages for which
    a security vulnerability has been found after the release
    will be upgraded. All the security updates are served through
    security.debian.org.

    Security updates serve one purpose: to supply a fix for a
    security vulnerability. They are not a method for sneaking
    additional changes into the stable release without going through
    normal point release procedure. Consequently, fixes for packages
    with security issues will not upgrade the software. The Debian
    Security Team will backport the necessary fixes to the version
    of the software distributed in `stable' instead.

This is how the people who make Debian want it to be.  Ubuntu,
Fedora/RH or SUSE may be better suited to you.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA