Re: Need newer software that included with stable (that isn't at backports.org)

Sooo... download a vanilla .22 kernel and build it yourself.

You've just got to do a little more yourself.  It's the price of
freedom.  And not that difficult.

I know perfectly well how to build a kernel.  What I'm asking for here is a way to do this the "Debian way" - i.e., through APT using the sid kernel source (effectively making my own backports).  Also, there is more than just the kernel I need to build from lenny/sid - such as some gstreamer plugins and the newest acpi-support.  I'd MUCH prefer to do this through APT than "the ugly old fashioned way".  If I did that for every little piece of software I wanted to upgrade, I'd end up with a nightmare on my hands when upgrading to lenny...

Regarding the unstable kernel being built with glibc 2.6, I'll admit - I was wrong on that.  Ubuntu was the distribution that did that, not Debian.  However, I still have seen in many places that you should NEVER, NEVER install sid packages on stable.

If you want effortless, go back to OSX.

No, really.  Very few people here will be upset that you want others
to do the grubby integration work.  My wife certainly doesn't.  And
that's *OK*.

One argument that bothers me a bit is stating that all deficiencies are "the price you pay for freedom" and recommending one go back to their former OS if they can't handle it. This is the reason Linux isn't doing as well on the desktop as it could. I must emphasize that I have no intention on leeching off the community - if that was the case, I'd just go back to OS X. My post was basically asking how to do a proper "Debian way" backport from sid source - which seems possible, given that backports.org makes plenty of them.

While I did point this out as a deficiency in Debian (and Linux in general), I'm also open to helping fixing this.  I was intending on submitting any backports I did to backports.org, as well as possibly getting involved in Debian development in other ways.  I also reported all the bugs I found in lenny/sid in the Debian BTS, and was planning on keeping a chroot/VM of sid around to keep testing it.  Now, however, I can't help but wonder if some other Linux distribution may be more receptive than Debian.  This is a problem which needs to be fixed - no other OS makes you update the whole system or go through arcane source compilation to update a single component.