Re: Need newer software that included with stable (that isn't at backports.org)

On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 09:00:26AM -0700, Tim Hull wrote:
>  Now, however, I can't help but wonder if some other Linux
>  distribution may be more receptive than Debian.  This is a problem
>  which needs to be fixed - no other OS makes you update the whole
>  system or go through arcane source compilation to update a single
>  component.

Sure other OSs do: Try convincing OpenBSD that you want a newer kernel.
They'll tell you to wait six months.  OTOH, NetBSD is a hacker's dream.
Take your pick.  FreeBSD may also do what you need but I haven't used it
yet.

I agree that it would be nice to have something a litle more often than
we get with Stable but a little more stable than Testing, but it doesn't
exist.  To make it exist would pull developers' time from the system as
it stands.

For this reason, and not in any way to tell you to go away, you may wish
to consider one of the BSDs.  They can run binary linux apps in
compatibility mode while having a large repository of packages ready to
install.  Their pkg_add is very similar to apt-get; I haven't found
anything equivalent to aptitude ncurses interface.

Good luck,

Doug.