Re: Where is Lame in Sarge?

On Thursday 26 July 2007, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > I know there's an issue with MySQL and permissions with an easy
> > work around, but other than that, I want to have time to check out
> > known issues before I upgrade a server.
>
> Wise plan.  In fact setting up a Sarge machine as a victim for
> upgrade testing to Etch is a good idea.

That's a possibility.  I'd duplicate the list of packages on the server
and test it that way.  Of course, I couldn't do a *real* test unless I
made sure all the programs were in use, which would mean a drop in
replacement, which ain't going to happen unless I can replace a mostly
full 300GB RAID (and most of that is my ripped CD collection -- just
got a Squeezebox and installed Slimserver so I could listen to them
outside the office).

> For servers the upgrade for me has gone quite easily.  For desktops
> the biggest problem has been the name changes for many web browser
> plugins and also the movement of GNU FDL licensed documentation into
> non-free.  This means I have had to add non-free to my sources where
> this was not previously needed and also needed to specifically
> install many of the now non-free documentation packages that were
> split out.

In some ways server management can be much easier than a desktop.  I'm
rarely adding anything and once it's stabilized, there's not much that
changes.  I'm not worried about docs or anything like that on the
server because I can use them on my workstation, which is Ubuntu
because I like newer versions of eye candy.

> > On the other hand, what's the expected release date for Lenny going
> > Stable?  With Etch going Stable in April, I figure I still have
> > another 8 - 9 months before Lenny is stable.  :-)
>
> You are an optimist thinking 8-9 months!  I think you have plenty of
> time well past that.  Perhaps I should have said before security
> upgrades for Sarge are discontinued.  That will almost certainly
> happen before Lenny releases.  :-)

I said 8-9 months because I was being diplomatic and didn't want to
offend any of the few DDs left on the list!  I figure I'll get the main
server, which does file, print, dns, and audio serving (and a few other
things like that) first, since that's less complex and all the services
are easy to replace.  The other is my work system, which is also a
development system for the business (I can't afford to do it on 2
separate systems) and that would be a mess if things didn't upgrade
smoothly.

Hal