Re: Where is Lame in Sarge?

On Thursday 26 July 2007, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > Manon Metten wrote:
>
> The mp3 encoder is patented outside of the context of the software
> license for that particular program.
>
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3#Licensing_and_patent_issues
>
> > > Before you can install lame,  you have to add this line to your
> > > /etc/apt/sources.list:
> >
> > Is this fairly new?  I had never had a problem before, but I may
> > not have been trying to do anything with multimedia on Sarge
> > before.
>
> This has been true thoughout the history of Sarge.  And Sarge
> released June 2005.  It has subsequently been replaced with Etch
> released April 2007.  You really should consider upgrading to Etch at
> least before Lenny releases.  :-)

I will be upgrading to Etch, but I've been so busy with the aftermath of
a death in the family a few months before Etch went stable and a heavy
programming load for the past 2 months, that I haven't even had time to
check up on what kind of "gotchas" I need to be aware of.  I know
there's an issue with MySQL and permissions with an easy work around,
but other than that, I want to have time to check out known issues
before I upgrade a server.

On the other hand, what's the expected release date for Lenny going
Stable?  With Etch going Stable in April, I figure I still have another
8 - 9 months before Lenny is stable.  :-)

> That depot has been moved around to various places over the last
> few years.  It seems to be at a permanent home now at
> www.debian-multimedia.org.

They're saying for Sarge to use one of their mirrors.  I guess I can
change that when I upgrade to Etch.

Hal