Re: Stability issues

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 06:04:58PM -0400, Mike Robinson wrote:
Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 05:26:36PM -0400, Mike Robinson wrote:
Mike Robinson wrote:
Well, I've decided to throw in the towel and install Etch. I think I'd like to boot with an Etch install CD, keep my partitions, but blow away the Debian Testing installation with Etch. I have one large partition with all of the data I need to save; the rest can go away. I've never done anything like this before, so any warnings/advice is welcome.
I've lost track of what brought you to this stage, but if you're going
to do it, this may be helpful:
dpkg --get-selections >
/path/to/partition/for/keeping/stuff/selections
and then after the basic install do
dpkg --set-selections < /path/to/place/you/put/selections
and then do apt-get dselect-upgrade
to bring in the selection of packages you had before.
note though that if package names changed between etch and lenny, then
there could be problems... you may have to manually edit the list.
If I simply want to install Etch (no Lenny packages) would I still have to do this? None of the data that I'm saving is Lenny specific. My intent is to stick
with the stable Debian loads from now on.

well you don't have to do it at all. its just an easy way to recreate
your installed set of packages... instead of going through whatever
method you use and selecting everything you want to install.
if you are only installing the tasksel selections and not adding
additional software, then there is no reason to do this. I just know
that if I had to reinstall my current machine, I'd want to pull a list
of what was installed as I've got a couple years of built-up stuff on
here and wouldn't want to hassle with trying to remember it all.

Ah, so your procedure would produce a list of packages, but not versions. So, after I install Etch, I would then get the Etch version of thoses packages...not the Lenny version. Is this correct? If so, then this sounds like something I would like to do.

-Mike