Stability issues

I've been running Debian testing for about a year-and-a-half. It's been quite stable. I performed a dist-upgrade about two weeks ago. It's been unstable since. By unstable I mean that applications may crash (disappear) and the system may freeze. The system is freezing about once a day.

My processor is an Athlon 64 3200+, but I'm running the 686 kernel (2.6.18-4). I've posted a few logs here:

  http://robinsonhome.org/logs1/dmesg.txt
  http://robinsonhome.org/logs1/kern.log
  http://robinsonhome.org/logs1/messages

One thing I noticed while recompiling various applications is that gcc would display the following error:

dsputil.c: In function 'pix_abs8_y2_c':
dsputil.c:3048: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
For Debian GNU/Linux specific bug reporting instructions,
see <URL:file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.1/README.Bugs>.
The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem.

But if I just continued the build by typing 'make' again, it would pick up where it left off and eventually complete. For a large application, I may run into this problem a few times. Upon further view of the build logs I noticed this snippet:

gcc -c -pipe -march=k8

Does this mean that it's building the application as 64-bit? Could my distribution somehow now be mixed 32 and 64 bit? Could this possibly be the source of my problems? If so, how can I recover? If not, any suggestions as to how I should continue troubleshooting?

Thanks,
Mike