Re: Stability issues

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 05:26:36PM -0400, Mike Robinson wrote:
> Mike Robinson wrote:
>> I'm almost to the point of blowing the system away and installing Etch.
>> Anyone with insight would be appreciated.
>
> Well, I've decided to throw in the towel and install Etch.  I think I'd
> like to boot with an Etch install CD, keep my partitions, but blow away the
> Debian Testing installation with Etch.  I have one large partition with all
> of the data I need to save; the rest can go away.  I've never done anything
> like this before, so any warnings/advice is welcome.

I've lost track of what brought you to this stage, but if you're going
to do it, this may be helpful:

dpkg --get-selections >
/path/to/partition/for/keeping/stuff/selections

and then after the basic install do

dpkg --set-selections < /path/to/place/you/put/selections

and then do

apt-get dselect-upgrade

to bring in the selection of packages you had before.

note though that if package names changed between etch and lenny, then
there could be problems... you may have to manually edit the list.