Re: Stability issues

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 07:28:07PM -0400, Mike Robinson wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> Ah, so your procedure would produce a list of packages, but not versions.
> So, after I install Etch, I would then get the Etch version of thoses
> packages...not the Lenny version.  Is this correct?  If so, then this
> sounds like something I would like to do.

yes, except, if the packages names have changed, you might have
problems. I don't know what dpkg might do if you feed it bad names...

if that ends up being a problem, you'd have to edit the list.

hmmm...

I just did

echo foobar install | dpkg --set-selections

and it seemed to fail silently. That is, it produced no output but
didn't add the package foobar to the selections that came out in a
subsequent dpkg --get-selections. I'm sure the failure to put foobar
in the list is the right behavior. I'm not sure if failing silently is
the right behavior.

ymmv.