Re: Where is Lame in Sarge?

Hal Vaughan wrote:
> Manon Metten wrote:
> > Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > > Neither toolame or glame provide lame itself.  It's LPGL, does that
> > > create a conflict with Debian's social contract?

The mp3 encoder is patented outside of the context of the software
license for that particular program.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3#Licensing_and_patent_issues

> > Before you can install lame,  you have to add this line to your
> > /etc/apt/sources.list:
> Is this fairly new?  I had never had a problem before, but I may not
> have been trying to do anything with multimedia on Sarge before.

This has been true thoughout the history of Sarge.  And Sarge released
June 2005.  It has subsequently been replaced with Etch released April
2007.  You really should consider upgrading to Etch at least before
Lenny releases.  :-)

That depot has been moved around to various places over the last
few years.  It seems to be at a permanent home now at
www.debian-multimedia.org.

Bob