Re: Where is Lame in Sarge?

On Thursday 26 July 2007, Manon Metten wrote:
> Hi Hal,
>
> On 7/26/07, Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigital.com> wrote:
>
> I have a server running Sarge.  I tried to find lame and got this:
> > <Snip>
> >
> > Neither toolame or glame provide lame itself.  It's LPGL, does that
> > create a conflict with Debian's social contract?
> >
> > Do I have to go out of the repositories to add lame?
>
> Before you can install lame,  you have to add this line to your
> /etc/apt/sources.list:
> deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main
> (you may replace etch by stable of course).
>
> Then do an aptitude update and first install the
> debian-multimedia-keyring: aptitude install debian-multimedia-keyring
>
> Then aptitude install lame. That's all.
>
> Manon.

Is this fairly new?  I had never had a problem before, but I may not
have been trying to do anything with multimedia on Sarge before.

I tried this, but used the line:

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sarge main

aptitude could not get the Packages file from that source.  I checked:

http://www.debian-multimedia.org

and there's a note to use:

deb http://mirror.home-dn.net/debian-multimedia sarge main

instead if you're still on Sarge.  I've tried that a couple times to be
sure, but aptitude still can't get the Packages file.  I downloaded
debian-multimedia-keyring and installed it with dpkg.  Then when I did
an update, there was no problem reading the Packages file.  From there,
installing lame worked perfectly.

Thanks for the help on that!

Hal