Re: clamd niceness (outgoing mail: "From isn't in return path")

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 10:06:18PM -0500, Owen Heisler wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 08:53:13PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 06:56:18PM -0500, Owen Heisler wrote:
> > [issues with gmail and spam scoring]
> >
> > I really can't help you with this, but for the record, they both came
> > through my inbox just fine...
>
> Okay, thanks.  Hopefully this is right, with 'envelope_from' & 'from' set
> to my gmail address, and 'sender' set to the local address.
>
> > as far as i can tell, there is no way to set the nice level other than
> > modifying the init script (/etc/init.d/clamav-daemon) to set it when
> > it gets called. This is supported by [0] which addresses this issue
> > briefly.
>
> I looked at the init script already, and couldn't figure out what
> start_daemon was for (not a command I can run as root).  This time I
> Googled it and added "-n 10" and everything is great!

I'm glad you sorted it out. I'll be curious to see how this works for
you in the long run... please report back. I would suspect that if
your system is really busy, you may get some timeouts in your mail
chain as a result. watch /var/log/exim4/paniclog (assuming you use
exim).