Re: xprint config

Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> writes:

> s. keeling on 11/07/07 02:40, wrote:
>> Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com>:
>>>  does anybody here have any xprint config experience? My old
>>>  workstation is getting a bit bloated, xprint is up the creek and I
>>>  can't print to file / PS / PDF. /../
/../
>> Have you read the stuff in /usr/share/doc/xprint and xprint-common
>> and xprint-utils?  Have you:
>>
>>    export XPSERVERLIST=`/etc/init.d/xprint get_xpserverlist`
>>
>> in your startup shell config?  It also suggests:
>>
>>    export LPDEST=lp   # <-- edit to taste.
>>
>> may be useful, but I haven't needed it.
>>
>> The things I've seen so far say it help mozilla browsers print.  Is
>> that all?  How to get OOo to use it?  Dunno.  It doesn't appear to
>> need it.

AFAIK: Mozilla had native PS printing, that development stopped and
xprint was introduced. The two systems are still there, side by
side. The xprint printers can be recognized by the port number being
given as well. In my experience, xprint is better, but tuning the
drivers can be a pain. In fact, as many have noted, Mozilla printing
interface is a pain - margins get overwritten, of CUPS configurations
ignored, etc.

> Amusingly I only want it because it allows you to print to file easily
> with two default printers that it sets up for you, one for PS and one
> for PDF, and it puts them in your home directory. Very nice and
> convenient, but it doesn't do it.

The cups-pdf pacakge will allow you to print to PDF from OO and other
software that obeys CUPS configurations. PS is also a usual option.
--
BOFH excuse #447:

According to Microsoft, it's by design