Re: Eeek?! smbmount is deprecated?!

Kent West yazmış:
> tejas wrote:
>> Kent West yazmış:
>>
>>> 1. I've been unable to Google how to mount samba shares using the "mount
>>> -t cifs" method (lots of info on using the "smbmount" method). So what
>>> is the exact syntax equivalent, please, to "smbmount //server/share
>>> /mntpoint -o credentials=LocationOfSecretsFile"
>>>

>> mount -t cifs -o user=something,password=something //server/share
>> /mount/point
>>

> westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> sudo mount -t cifs -o user=westk
> //faculty/web mnt
> Password:  <--- for the sudo command
> Password:
> mount error 112 = Host is down
> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
>
> westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> smbmount //faculty/web mnt -o username=westk
> Password:
>
> westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> ls mnt
> Network Trash Folder  public_html
>

> So this syntax doesn't work. Also, this syntax still doesn't specify a
> "secrets" file so I can move the password out of the command itself.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, though!

This isn't about syntax. Something else must be wrong.
I have a scripts to sync my laptop and my desktop. Script's mount part
is like this:

mount -t cifs -o iocharset=utf8,user=hede //192.168.2.2/$i
/home/hede/Desktop/$i

Maybe you should try using absolute path for mount point.

And, about CIFS, I had experienced some strange issues with it. (not too
strange ;) For example, when share's permissions is not convenient (am I
using right word!), CIFS refuse to mount and give some strange errors,
but smbfs mounts nicely, but you cannot acces files inside share.