Re: Eeek?! smbmount is deprecated?!

tejas wrote:
Kent West yazmış:
1. I've been unable to Google how to mount samba shares using the "mount
-t cifs" method (lots of info on using the "smbmount" method). So what
is the exact syntax equivalent, please, to "smbmount //server/share
/mntpoint -o credentials=LocationOfSecretsFile"

mount -t cifs -o user=something,password=something //server/share
/mount/point

westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> sudo mount -t cifs -o user=westk //faculty/web mnt
Password:  <--- for the sudo command
Password:
mount error 112 = Host is down
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> smbmount //faculty/web mnt -o username=westk
Password:

westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> ls mnt
Network Trash Folder  public_html

So this syntax doesn't work. Also, this syntax still doesn't specify a "secrets" file so I can move the password out of the command itself.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

--
Kent