Re: Eeek?! smbmount is deprecated?!

tejas wrote:
Kent West yazmış:
tejas wrote:
Kent West yazmış:
1. I've been unable to Google how to mount samba shares using the "mount
-t cifs" method (lots of info on using the "smbmount" method). So what
is the exact syntax equivalent, please, to "smbmount //server/share
/mntpoint -o credentials=LocationOfSecretsFile
westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> sudo mount -t cifs -o user=westk
//faculty/web mnt
Password:  <--- for the sudo command
Password:
mount error 112 = Host is down
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> smbmount //faculty/web mnt -o username=westk
Password:

westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> ls mnt
Network Trash Folder  public_html

So this syntax doesn't work. Also, this syntax still doesn't specify a
"secrets" file so I can move the password out of the command itself.

I just found the "man mount.cifs" which addresses my question about the credentials file, so that issue can be set aside now.

This isn't about syntax. Something else must be wrong.
I have a scripts to sync my laptop and my desktop. Script's mount part
is like this:

mount -t cifs -o iocharset=utf8,user=hede //192.168.2.2/$i
/home/hede/Desktop/$i

Maybe you should try using absolute path for mount point.

I tried that, and it still failed. I tried using the IP address rather than name for the server, and it still failed.

And, about CIFS, I had experienced some strange issues with it. (not too
strange ;) For example, when share's permissions is not convenient (am I
using right word!), CIFS refuse to mount and give some strange errors,
but smbfs mounts nicely, but you cannot acces files inside share.

Ah, yes; using the smbfs filesystem-type rather than cifs works, as below:

Wed Jul 11     20:52:10
-------------
westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> ls mnt

Wed Jul 11     20:52:14
-------------
westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> sudo mount -t cifs //faculty/web mnt -o username=westk
Password:
mount error 112 = Host is down
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

Wed Jul 11     20:52:22
-------------
westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> sudo mount -t smbfs //faculty/web mnt -o username=westk,uid=weskt
Password:

Wed Jul 11     20:52:29
-------------
westk[@westek]:/home/westk:> ls mnt
Network Trash Folder  public_html

Wed Jul 11     20:52:30
westk[@westek]:/home/westk:>

So it appears there's something screwy about the cifs filesystem-type. So this issue remains.

Another one of my issues was that smbmount all of a sudden (after my rebuild) started mounting the shares with the mount point being owned by root. With this working "mount -t smbfs" command, the addition of the uid= option takes care of that issue.

And finally, the last issue remains: if mount normally must be run by root, how can I give non-root users access to mount shares without knowing before-hand what shares to pre-populate /etc/fstab with?

It would be much easier just to continue using smbmount, but like I say, I'm trying to be a good, forward-going sort of guy rather than living in the fading past....

Thanks!

--
Kent