Re: Installing a JRE plug-in

andy wrote:
> In any event, I got this error message for a site in which I must
> spend a fair amount of time in order to do an on-line course, so
> that is what prompted my sudden interest in this.

Use in an online course falls right into the pattern.  Not something
that *everyone* would need but a smaller group of people will need it
and it is a larger application than is typically run by the masses.
Makes sense.  (Of course in that case you would need Java installed
and I am not lobbying against it here.  Just making observations.)

> It is interesting that you say that Iceweasel loads the modules
> dynamically once installed. Actually my Iceweasel didn't which is why my
> penultimate e-mail on this thread reported that I had lost the
> functionality and then later I wrote to disregard the previous e-mail. I
> had been hoping that Iceweasel would load it dynamically, but it didn't.
> It was only after I restarted Iceweasel that the modules were loaded. Of
> course, this could come down to some or other preference setting in
> Iceweasel, but that is certainly not something that I could address
> authoritatively.

I have a stock iceweasil installation.  For modules such as Java I can
verify that they are not installed by looking in about:plugins.  Then
I can install the .deb file.  Then reload about:plugins in the running
browser and those additional plugins will be display there.

I have tried this just now to verify and "it worked for me".  I exited
iceweasil, I removed the plugins with 'dpkg --purge', I started
iceweasil, checked about:plugins and verified that they were not
present, installed the java package, checked about:plugins and it was
listed as present.  (shrug)

Bob