Re: Opera is faster, but...

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 15:45:06 -0400
Gregory Seidman <gsslist+debian@anthropohedron.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 03:25:40PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> [...]
> > We discuss this every now and then (I use privoxy), but is there any
> > convenient way to easily add stuff that privoxy misses to its config
> > files?  Also, the default Debian privoxy runs once as root; adblock can
> > obviously be configured on a per-user basis.  Of course, I suppose one
> > could run multiple privoxies, on different ports, for different
> > users ...
>
> I've never seen a good reason for per-user ad blocking. If it's an ad, I
> want it blocked and I'm not clear on why anyone wouldn't. On the rare
> occasions when there is a false positive, privoxy has a link right in its
> block page for "go there anyway". If it's a false negative, it should be
> added, of course.

I suppose you're right, but in principle, browsing control should be
available to normal users.  I'm also not sure whether you're really
right that no user will ever want to see any ad.  As for the 'go there
anyway' links, I notice them when an entire page is blocked, but not
always when individual images are, especially small ones.  Am I missing
something?

> As for adding stuff easily, I have an /etc/privoxy/adblock.action file
> separate from any other action files (and referenced in /etc/privoxy/config).
> It's very simple:
>
> {+block }
> .247realmedia.com
> .2o7.net
> .adbrite.com
> .adbureau.net
> 	[ 90 more lines ]
> /(.*/)?adv/.*
> /(.*/)?adx/.*
>
> When I run across a new ad server, I edit the file (sudoedit, actually,
> though I don't think there is any reason it couldn't be user-owned) and add
> another domain or pattern. I don't even have to restart privoxy, since it
> is smart enough to reread changed config files.

I agree that it can be done fairly simply, but right-clicking and
selecting 'block this' is still, at least for some, much more
straightforward than the following sequence: copy the ad server's url,
switch from the browser to an xterm, open an editor, move to the
desired location within the file, paste in the url, save the file.  I
know that some of this can be automated, and that cli gurus can do it
all quite quickly, but still ...

> > Celejar
> --Greg

Celejar