Re: USB-stick crashes

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 13:45:59 -0600, Art Edwards wrote:
> I just did a dist-upgrade (testing, amd64) and now the system will not read
> a usbstick.
>
> I get the following error in kde, during automatic mount:
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc1, missing
> codpage or other error
> in some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so

[...]

> usb-storage: device scan complete
> FAT: Unrecognized mount option "flush" or missing value
>
> This has happened for both of my USB sticks. I should point out that they
> are still read on an ubuntu laptop and they were read on Friday before the
> dist-upgrade.

Looks like this bug:

#432103: hal: Gives unknown mount option "flush" when mounting an USB stick (vfat)

It seems that this will be fixed when a new kernel (>= 2.6.19) comes to
testing. If you do not want to wait for that then you can try one
of the two patches/workarounds mentioned in the BTS.

I can confirm that KDE's mounting of vfat USB sticks works without
problems for kernel 2.6.21 on Sid with hal 0.5.9.1-2.

          Florian   |