Re: Opera is faster, but...

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 03:25:40PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
[...]
> We discuss this every now and then (I use privoxy), but is there any
> convenient way to easily add stuff that privoxy misses to its config
> files?  Also, the default Debian privoxy runs once as root; adblock can
> obviously be configured on a per-user basis.  Of course, I suppose one
> could run multiple privoxies, on different ports, for different
> users ...

I've never seen a good reason for per-user ad blocking. If it's an ad, I
want it blocked and I'm not clear on why anyone wouldn't. On the rare
occasions when there is a false positive, privoxy has a link right in its
block page for "go there anyway". If it's a false negative, it should be
added, of course.

As for adding stuff easily, I have an /etc/privoxy/adblock.action file
separate from any other action files (and referenced in /etc/privoxy/config).
It's very simple:

{+block }
.247realmedia.com
.2o7.net
.adbrite.com
.adbureau.net
	[ 90 more lines ]

When I run across a new ad server, I edit the file (sudoedit, actually,
though I don't think there is any reason it couldn't be user-owned) and add
another domain or pattern. I don't even have to restart privoxy, since it
is smart enough to reread changed config files.

> Celejar
--Greg