Re: How do I check if my Router is damaged?

On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 04:23:16PM +0000, steef wrote:

> please explain to me: how can that happen: frying a motherboard with a
> defect modem? getting a little bit worried.

Other than the reply you got re timing of power restore, consider that
power failures and restores aren't done with nice no-bounce switches.
The power goes off when either something pulls a wire apart or a fuse
blows.  Neither event produces a clean break and you can get voltage
surges while it is happening.  Restoration usually happens when a
lineman engages a fuse, again not an instantaneous event.

Keep in mind also that whatever caused the power failure could also put
a surge on your modem line.  If its a cable modem, the cable sheath
needs to be bonded to ground where it enters the building.

I would recommend that you read the IEEE guide for surge protection of
equipment connected to AC power and communication circuits.

Your network is a communication circuit and your boxes are connected to
AC power.  Having the computer on a UPS but bringing wires into the box
from a different ground reference can allow surges to bypas the UPS's
protection.  If your UPS doesn't have connections to protect network
cables, and your incoming modem cable, you probably need to plug in a
full-featured surge supressing power bar that protects everything
comeing in (power, phone, network, etc) to the UPS then everything else
into that.  In this case, your UPS would provide your common reference
ground.

Good luck,

Doug.