Re: How do I check if my Router is damaged?

Justin Hartman wrote:
I have a Netgear WGR614 wireless router which up until yesterday was
working perfectly. I have 3 PCs running etch, ubuntu and windows on
the network but since a brief power failure none of the machines can
obtain a dynamic IP address from the router.

I've tried turning it off, unplugging and replugging everything as
well as restoring the router to its original factory settings but alas
no IP gets assigned. What's weird is that the router has no issue in
connecting to the DSL service but locally I get nothing.

My suspicion is that the power failure messed the router up but I'm
wondering if there isn't a check I can run to confirm this fact before
I go and spend more money on a new router.

My USRobotics router exhibited similar problems recently; I could get an address from the wireless, but not from the wired. (Actually, the problem started about six months ago and just started out as flakey networking on one computer, but gradually deteriorated to unusable. I at first suspected that one computer, but replacing the NIC didn't help. And, then, as mentioned, the problem eventually worsened to the point I suspected the router.)

I finally broke down and bought a Belkin from Wal-Mart for $40, and yep, the problem was the router. I figured the worst that could happen is that I'd learn it wasn't the router, and I could take it back to Wal-Mart for a refund.

--
Kent