Re: How do I check if my Router is damaged?

steef wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Justin Hartman wrote:
On 7/8/07, Kent West <westk@goshen.acu.edu> wrote:
I finally broke down and bought a Belkin from Wal-Mart for $40, and yep,
the problem was the router. I figured the worst that could happen is
that I'd learn it wasn't the router, and I could take it back to
Wal-Mart for a refund.

I figured exactly the same so I guess I'll head off tomorrow to get a
new one. The part that really upsets me is that I've only had this
router for about 4 months now and it wasn't cheap at the time. Oh
well, gotta love technology :)

You're lucky that you didn't fry your motherboard.

please explain to me: how can that happen: frying a motherboard with a defect modem? getting a little bit worried.

The impression I got was that the installation lost power, including
the server. While a computer PSU should be designed to shut down and
start up in an orderly manner, nobody would be betting money on it.

Most complex ICs have a specified period for the supply rail to rise
to near normal, and ICs which use more than one rail have a specified
order for the rails to come up. While unlikely, it is possible that
failing to meet these specifications could cause permanent damage.

So while the chances are small, it is not impossible for a power
brownout or rapid repeated blackouts to damage electronic goods. It
looks like what happened here did damage the router in some way,
possibly either causing partial hardware failure of the Ethernet
sub-system or possibly corrupting the firmware. It would be worth
trying to re-flash the firmware if the damage allows that.