Re: .bash_history deleted

> Hi Anna.
>
> Anna Machens, 08.07.2007 15:48:
> >  (i'm using debian unstable )
> >  i am totally confused. suddenly, my .bash_history file for root did not
> >  exist
> >  anymore.
>
> That’s really odd; I experienced the same thing yesterday. Suddenly
> there was no
> history anymore but since then, the file has been growing normally like
> before.

I have seen this several times in the past, still having no idea how this happens. For a while I suspected bash_completion but I think I saw this also without bash_completion. Finally I am suspecting the filesystem journaling doing weird things, since it it mostly happened after crashes with JFS and XFS, but (almost? not sure) never with Ext3.